AAGB Autumn 2020 meeting and Coronavirus
With legislative changes and restrictions under constant review and the ongoing concerns and risks surrounding the Coronavirus we have been forced again to consider how safe and practical it would be to continue with the AAGB autumn meeting that was rescheduled to take place 3 & 4 October 2020.
I have spoken in detail with the IBIS Hotel. They are currently closed and do not re-open until 1 September. They have confirmed severe restrictions regards offering meeting spaces and have been informed that their day to day practices are currently under review by the parent company. They are currently offering very limited catering (grab and go breakfast only) and would be unable to provide food and beverages to the meeting were it to go ahead.
After a great deal of consideration and in the interest of safety for everyone, the AAGB has decided to cancel our autumn meeting.
We have once again negotiated alternative dates without incurring a financial penalty and are very grateful to the IBIS staff for their understanding and help.
The Spring 2021 meeting has been booked for 17 & 18 April again to be held at the IBIS Hotel
While Coronavirus will almost certainly still be with us, I feel by then, there would be a greater understanding of what can and canít happen and we would be able to deliver a meeting safely and with greater confidence.
Anyone who has pre-booked accommodation with The IBIS Hotel / Accor direct and not through a third party booking (or example Booking.com ) is advised to contact the IBIS Hotel in Rotherham on 01709 730333 and they will free of charge move your booking to the spring 2021 dates. If this is not acceptable my understanding is that the IBIS/ Accor website is offering a voucher in lieu of costs. Please check website for details.
Cancelling the meetings this year would of course mean there will be no AGM in 2020. There have been no significant changes or developments since last year the committee has proposed to carry this forward to the meeting in 2021. The current committee members, with the exception of Andy Patel (Committee Support) have agreed to continue in their roles to be reviewed at the next members meeting. There will be no increase in subscription fees. I hope these actions meets with your approval. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like a copy of last years minutes or to raise any questions or concerns.
We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this will cause to our members but are confident that the decision we have made is considered and appropriate at this time.
Keep safe everyone.
Chris Webb (Secretary)